Democratic Republic of the Congo

Legal basis

Jurisdiction text

The Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) is a country in central Africa. The DRC is bordered by Rwanda, Uganda, Zambia, and Angola to the north; South Sudan to the east; and Tanzania, Burundi, and Kenya to the south. The DRC is the largest country in sub-Saharan Africa and has an area of about 207,000 square kilometers. The DRC is made up of 30 provinces. The DRC has a population of over 79 million people. The majority of the population is Hutu, who comprise about 55% of the population. The remaining 45% are Tutsi, who were displaced from Rwanda during the genocide in 1994. There are also significant populations of Banyarwanda (the largest tribe in Congo), Twa, Mongoose, and Gorilla. The DRC has a complex history dating back to the founding of the colony of Congo in 1885. Belgium was the first European country to establish a presence in what is now the DRC. The Belgian colonial administration tried to create two models for African colonization: one where Africans were brought into agriculture and industry, and one where they were placed on large reserves administered by administrators